The NYPD has released surveillance footage of the incident, in which Baldwin allegedly used a gun to threaten to kill a delivery man in West New York, New Jersey, earlier this month
The New York district attorney’s office has described as “unlikely” that Alec Baldwin will be charged after shooting a man at a West New York, New Jersey, pizzeria.
Police responded to the scene of the incident – which happened on 23 March – after receiving a 911 call from the owner of Dominick’s Pizza stating that Baldwin had threatened to kill him.
Assistant district attorney Marni Pyka, speaking at a hearing for Baldwin on Thursday, said a conflict of interest had prevented law enforcement from filing charges.
It is “unlikely that we will file charges at this time because there are so many issues and so many things we need to investigate in this matter,” Pyka said. She declined to elaborate but a law enforcement source later said that authorities were conducting an investigation that could take months.
Alec Baldwin defends smoking pot, raising American flag in hometown Read more
Baldwin has not been arrested and has denied any wrongdoing in the incident, insisting he acted in self-defense. He said he did not open fire during a heated argument with the delivery man over bagging up a delivery.
The NYPD has released surveillance footage of the incident, in which Baldwin allegedly used a gun to threaten to kill a delivery man in West New York, New Jersey, earlier this month.
The lawyer for the Dominick’s Pizza owner, Richard Acquaviva, told the New York Post that “Baldwin has no chance of being charged because the video shows the thing only took seconds to happen”.
Baldwin, who wore a polo shirt and jeans for the hearing, denied in an Instagram post that he had fired a weapon, writing: “Despite the doctored footage and the shameful press release perpetuating a tale of woe, I’m positive I did not pull a gun, ever.”
The controversial actor also posted a photograph of himself with a substantial gun, saying: “Pulling my gun is really what is killing me.”
The Department of Homeland Security has been quick to respond to Baldwin’s comments, issuing an arrest warrant for the actor on a felony charge of possessing an unregistered firearm. The reason was “misrepresentation about the business relationship between actor Alec Baldwin and the alleged victim in this incident”, said Matthew Potenza, public affairs officer for the department’s New York office. The judge issued a non-custodial warrant for the actor’s arrest in that matter.