Parents of Ohio State attacker plead not guilty to numerous charges

The parents of 19-year-old Abdul Razak Ali Artan, who plowed a car into a crowd in an Ohio State University classroom building on Monday, killing 11 people, pleaded not guilty to numerous charges on…

Parents of Ohio State attacker plead not guilty to numerous charges

The parents of 19-year-old Abdul Razak Ali Artan, who plowed a car into a crowd in an Ohio State University classroom building on Monday, killing 11 people, pleaded not guilty to numerous charges on Monday in a federal court.

Artan crashed his car into the crowd on Monday as he exited Ohio State’s student union. He then exited the car and went on a knife rampage before being shot by police. Artan injured 18 other people.

His parents, Mohammad and Zubeidat Artan, who were born in Afghanistan, were ordered to remain in custody without bond until their next hearing, which was scheduled for Jan. 24, 2019. They remain unemployed, investigators have said.

During a hearing last week, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ethan Knight said Artan’s family had lived in Pakistan until he was 10 years old. A neighbor told CNN that Artan’s family moved from Pakistan to Dearborn, Michigan, where they stayed with a relative before leaving for Cleveland. They got married there, Knight said.

U.S. Judge David L. Dowd Jr. had previously ordered that Artan’s mother, Zubeidat, and younger brother, Yassir, be hospitalized and that prosecutors convene a grand jury to determine whether or not to charge the parents with any crimes for allegedly aiding and abetting Artan’s actions.

Artan could face the death penalty if convicted.

FBI agents raided Artan’s home late last week, seizing all of his belongings. They have also been requesting copies of Artan’s passport, which was issued to his sister, a high school student in Dearborn, since he dropped out of college earlier this year.

We do not allege that the parents were aware of what their son was doing. They only waived their rights to have an attorney in the negotiations. This has taken longer than usual, but the process of collecting evidence from their home and a search warrant was never questioned. Our intent has always been to seek compliance and dialogue with the parents before proceeding. Having just been in Dearborn last week, I believed that the family was willing to answer and cooperate with us. However, they only waived their rights to have an attorney in the negotiations. This has taken longer than usual, but the process of collecting evidence from their home and a search warrant was never questioned. Our intent has always been to seek compliance and dialogue with the parents before proceeding.

Ohio officials later said they were satisfied with how authorities handled Artan’s home. “There is no danger to the public,” attorney Joseph DiMillo, a spokesman for the attorney general, said after the agents delivered a search warrant. “That is our main priority.”

Read the full story at CNN.

Related

Unarmed student carjacked, killed by a veteran Ohio State attacker

Ohio State attacker known to campus police, authorities say

Gov. Kasich delays Columbus concert in order to address campus attack

Leave a Comment