Authorities said a drug overdose took the life of a 2-year-old boy in Toronto who should have had a happy first birthday.
Police said that finding the body of the toddler was heartbreaking and left the tiny youngster’s parents in an “awful state of grief.”
It also came after it was revealed that the toddler died from ingesting what was first thought to be cocaine last November.
Attorney General Caroline Mulroney called the death a “tragic loss.”
“This is a heartbreaking situation,” Mulroney said. “The tragic outcome of this young child’s death impacts our entire community and it is a sobering reminder of the continued need for parents to keep their children and loved ones safe.”
According to Toronto Police, the child was believed to have ingested cocaine during a party with at least nine other children last November.
A “totally different scenario” was in play. The toddler was allegedly buried with green flower pot in his mouth. Police said there were no visible signs of neglect, but are continuing their investigation.